Graduate Student Funding Opportunity: Plant Center Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grants (PC-DDIG).
Objective: PC-DDIGs are intended to empower students to explore their research interests and develop professional independence. PC-COLLABORATE-DDIGs are available for cross-cutting research involving doctoral students from different labs.
Full Proposal Deadline: Coversheet, 2-page narrative, budget and two-page CV due Friday, December 4th at 5:00 PM
Research Start date: Monday, January 4, 2021
Research End date: Wednesday, June 30, 2021
Budget: Maxima of $5000 for PC-DDIGs and $7500 for PC-COLLABORATE-DDIGs.
Eligibility: Doctoral students at any point in their program.
- One-page coversheet including name, title, budget total and summary (no more than 150 words)
- Two-page narrative: Description of research to be executed with PC-DDIG funded and how it advances a broader dissertation research program. Separate paragraphs should briefly describe the scientific merit and broader impacts of the dissertation research and PC-DDIG funded component of the dissertation research.
- One-page budget and budget justification. The budget justification should clearly describe how the funds will be spent by the June 30th end date. Funds will not be able to carried beyond June 30, 2021
- Two-page NSF-style CV –https://www.nsf.gov/bfa/dias/policy/biosketch.jsp.
- In addition to the two-page narrative, PC-COLLABORATE-DDIG proposals should include a statement (200 word max) of the synergistic aspects of the research plan.
Assessment Criteria: Proposals will be assessed for novelty, potential impact on dissertation research and state-of-art in field of study, potential broader impacts including broadening STEM participation, tractability, and clarity. The budget justification should clearly describe how the funds will be used before the end of the fiscal year (June 30, 2021). We anticipate that around five proposals will be funded.
A single PDF file with the four components described above should be submitted through the Plant Center submission portal below.